Ministry of National Planning and Development
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Civil Service Strengthening Project – (CSSP)
Assignment: Talent Management Program
The Somaliland Civil Service Strengthening Project (SCSSP) is an Investment Project Financing (IPF) with an element of result-based financing. The TMP will provide targeted MDA with a cadre of managerial and professional staff to strengthen core functional capacities. Expected outcomes from the TMP are first, improved leadership and management in the civil service; second, the formulation of key government strategies, policies, and regulations; third, improved HRM and organization design capabilities; and fourth, the development of basic functionalities in the areas of M&E and project oversight.
An important feature of the program is that it will be linked to ministry reform efforts: access to the TMP will depend upon the achievement of key reform benchmarks in the reorganization process. These access criteria are identical with the DLI indicators for the disbursement of the results-based financing portion.
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR FOOD SECURITY SPECIALIST
|1. Job Title||Food Security Specialist|
|2. Department||Planning Department|
|3. Assignment Location||Hargeisa, Ministry of National Planning and Development|
|4. Grade Level||Stream A, Level 5, Step 1.|
|5. Reporting To||Director of Planning|
|6. Supervisory Responsibility||Food Security Specialist will be responsible for providing advice and guidance on food security.|
|7. Job Purpose||Food Security Specialist is the functional Head of the unit. He/ she is responsible for Providing technical and policy advice and/or support to the Department of Planning in the development and implementation of their policies, strategies and programs for improved food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture. The incumbent is a career senior civil servant appointed through a competitive process and is responsible for providing leadership and vision for achieving goals of the national food security under the Department. He/ She shall be responsible for, through the department director, providing technical and professional support to the Director planning and the Minister if needed.|
|8. Objectives of the Job||· Conduct research on food security.
· Put together the right framework for policies and procedures.
· Advice and provide technical expertise for Director of Planning and the policy makers
· Research and provide data on national food output
· Provide effective leadership, enabling the Department to improve performance of its functions and achieve set results
· Provide accurate and timely reporting on progress of implementation of food and water securitypolicies, strategies and programs
· Lead coordination efforts between stakeholders involved in food security
|9. Duties and Responsibilities||The functions of Food Security Specialist will be:
· Develop the Food and Water Security strategy and technical guidance for its implementation
· Create and Manage strategic partnerships, promote best practices, and support policy dialogue to enhance policies and governance for food, nutrition security and sustainable agriculture;
· Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
· Provide technical direction and project implementation support
· Provide systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
· Represent in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
· Design and promote Food Security strategy
· Responsible for monitoring the sector specific situation in the country and initiate relevant assessments to increase scope and analyze overall readiness to respond to emergencies
· Capacity building of food security staff in the country.
· Remain updated on all relevant political and Government policy issues related to food security
· Build and maintain good external relationships and coordination with relevant food security actors in the country.
· Help the preparation of quarterly and annual progress reports
· Undertake any other duties assigned by the Ministry
|10. Deliverables||The Food Security Specialist will be responsible for the production of the following deliverables:
· Reviewed food and water security strategy
· Analyze and evaluate national food output.
· Coordinate and build effective relationship with relevant NGOs, IOs and government partners.
· Encourage sustainable agriculture.
· Prepare best practices for food/nutrient security
· Design response strategy for national emergency in times of drought in cooperation with the relevant government institutions
· Produce quarterly and annual progress reports
|11. Education||· Advanced university degree in domain related to food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture, social sciences, development economics or related area;
· A Master’s Degree in a relevant fieldwill be an advantage
|12. Experience||Seven years ‘experience, four (4) of which must have been at the senior management level in the public service.|
|13. Skills Mix Requirements||· Governance
· Change management
· Leadership and development
· Problem-solving techniques
· Blend of analytical, observational, organizational and networking skills
· Strategic planning and benchmarking
· Project management
· Performance measurement
· Team building and management
· Monitoring and evaluation
· ICT skills
· Report writing
· Excellent oral and written English and Somali languages
|14: Competency Requirements||· Gives objective advice based on sound analysis
· Focuses on outcomes
· Gives purpose and direction
· Thinks strategically
· Involves people in decision-making
· Communicates effectively
· Demonstrates commitment to organization/ corporate decisions
· Displays an intelligent awareness of the political environment
· Prepares plans with clear short and long term objectives
· Functions effectively in a team of professionals
The Civil Service Commission now invites interested candidates to submit CSC Application Form (in Somali), application letters along with CVs and copies of their certificates/credentials by Email to: email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for the submission is Monday, 23/11/2020 at 3:00pm local time.
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
For further information and enquiries, please contact the above email or visit the CSC Office during the working hours.