Ministry of Investment and Development
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Civil Service Strengthening Project – (CSSP)
Assignment: Talent Management Program
The Somaliland Civil Service Strengthening Project (SCSSP) is an Investment Project Financing (IPF) with an element of result-based financing. The TMP will provide targeted MDA with a cadre of managerial and professional staff to strengthen core functional capacities. Expected outcomes from the TMP are first, improved leadership and management in the civil service; second, the formulation of key government strategies, policies, and regulations; third, improved HRM and organization design capabilities; and fourth, the development of basic functionalities in the areas of M&E and project oversight.
An important feature of the program is that it will be linked to ministry reform efforts: access to the TMP will depend upon the achievement of key reform benchmarks in the reorganization process. These access criteria are identical with the DLI indicators for the disbursement of the results-based financing portion.
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR DIRECTOR OF LEGAL AFFAIRS
|1. Job Title||Director of Legal Affairs|
|2. Department||Legal Affairs|
|3. Assignment Location||Hargeisa, Ministry of Investment and Development|
|4. Grade Level||Stream A, Level 2, STEP 1|
|5. Reporting To||Director General, Ministry of Investment and Development|
|6. Supervisory Responsibility||The Director, Legal Affairs will be responsible for the supervision of Heads of the department|
|7. Job Purpose||The Director, Legal Affairs is the Head of the Department. He/ she is responsible for the overall technical, administrative and management of the Department. The incumbent is a career senior civil servant appointed through a competitive process and is responsible for providing leadership and vision for achieving goals of the Department. He/ She shall be responsible for providing technical and professional support to the Director General|
|8. Objectives of the Job||· Overall management of legal affairs and reporting
· Provide effective leadership, enabling the Department to improve performance of its functions and achieve set results
· Coordinating the development and implementation of legal affairs and procedures
· Provide accurate and timely reporting on progress of implementation of legal affairs policies, strategies and programmes.
|9. Duties and Responsibilities||The Director of Legal Affairs will be responsible for:
· Lead and monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of the legal function’s service delivery and day to day operations, to ensure policy, legal and regulatory compliance is met and that risk is identified, minimized and managed.
· Preparing and implementing strategic legal affairs plans
· Reviews, advises on and drafts complex contracts, agreements, institutional and operational modalities, or legal motions/submissions and other legal documents; develops new legal modalities to meet unique needs/circumstances.
· Provides legal advice on the interpretation and application of staff regulations and rules, including the review of administrative decisions; prepares draft amendments to the staff regulations and rules
· Serves as a lead officer in the area of international administrative law and administration of justice, and independently handles a wide range of multi-discipline and complex legal matters involving issues of international, public, private and administrative law, to include interpretation and application of instruments in that area of concentration.
· Performs extensive legal research and analysis and prepares legal opinions, studies, briefs, reports, and correspondence; provides legal advice to the unit/division.
· Represents the organization on more complex cases before administrative tribunals or in administrative proceedings, including disciplinary cases and staff appeals; in Tribunals, acts on behalf of the Secretary-General as counsel in proceedings before Appeals Tribunal.
· Contributes to review and design of new, or new applications of, legal instruments, policy, guidelines, etc.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Preparation and implementation of annual work plans in collaboration with section heads
· Preparation of quarterly and annual legal affairs reports
|10. Deliverables||The Director, Legal Affairs will be responsible for the production of the following deliverables:
· development and implementation of legal strategic plans
· operational legal frameworks,
· Provided leadership and expert advice to Senior Executives and internal and external stakeholders
· interpretation of complex policy, legal and regulatory issues,
· prepare high quality and articulate submissions, reviews and recommendations
· developed innovative policy and legal options
· Reports on response to management letter
· Computerized ICT systems
· Annual work plans
· Quarterly and annual reports
|11. Education||· A minimum of with a law degree from a recognized University or equivalent professional qualification..
· A Master’s Degree with a law will be an advantage
|12. Experience||Seven years’ legal experience, four (4) of which must have been at the senior management level in the public service.
· Experience managing the legal function of a company and overseeing outside legal counsel.
|13. Skills Mix Requirements||· Governance
· Change management
· Leadership and development
· Problem-solving techniques
· Blend of analytical, observational, organizational and networking skills
· Strategic planning and benchmarking
· Project management
· Performance measurement
· Team building and management
· Monitoring and evaluation
· ICT skills
· Report writing
· Excellent oral and written English and Somali languages
|14: Competency Requirements||· Gives objective advice based on sound analysis
· Focuses on outcomes
· Gives purpose and direction
· Thinks strategically
· Involves people in decision-making
· Communicates effectively
· Demonstrates commitment to organization/ corporate decisions
· Displays an intelligent awareness of the political environment
· Prepares plans with clear short and long term objectives
· Functions effectively in a team of professionals
The Civil Service Commission now invites interested candidates to submit CSC Application Form (in Somali), application letters along with CVs and copies of their certificates/credentials by Email to: email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for the submission is Monday, 23/11/2020 at 3:00pm local time.
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
For further information and inquiries, please contact the above email or visit the CSC Office during the working hours.